Past TO post links
Add Reply
RonO
2024-09-18 13:26:55 UTC
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it was
easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.

I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.

Ron Okimoto
*Hemidactylus*
2024-09-18 14:28:04 UTC
Post by RonO
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it was
easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.
I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.
Maybe this? Some people like Daggett and Burkhard had posted from this
site.
*Hemidactylus*
2024-09-18 14:39:05 UTC
Post by RonO
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it was
easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.
I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.
Oops this:

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/thread.php?group=talk.origins

Forgot to paste the link.
RonO
2024-09-18 17:25:17 UTC
Post by *Hemidactylus*
Post by RonO
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it was
easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.
I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.
https://www.novabbs.com/interests/thread.php?group=talk.origins
Forgot to paste the link.
Yes. It does have a copy link tab.

Thanks.
erik simpson
2024-09-18 14:56:46 UTC
Post by RonO
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it was
easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.
I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.
Ron Okimoto
Using Thunderbolt as the mail interface makes it pretty easy. You can
specify how many posts to read. If 100000 doesn't get the ones you
want, try 150000. It can take a while to load all that. Is there
anything back there that's really work reading again?
Bob Casanova
2024-09-18 16:26:39 UTC
On Wed, 18 Sep 2024 07:56:46 -0700, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by erik simpson
Post by erik simpson
Post by RonO
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it was
easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.
I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.
Ron Okimoto
Using Thunderbolt as the mail interface makes it pretty easy. You can
specify how many posts to read. If 100000 doesn't get the ones you
want, try 150000. It can take a while to load all that. Is there
anything back there that's really work reading again?
Worth reading again? Not usually, but beloved by those like
Peter Nyikos who delighted in dragging up multiple, usually
out-of-context and/or frequently irrelevant, snippets and
combining them into a single "wall o' text".
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
RonO
2024-09-18 17:32:00 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Post by RonO
[...]
Nyikos would do that because he could quote mine and only take the part
of the post that he wanted to lie about. He had this notion of a self
contained lie, that he was supposed to have never told. Nyikos would
make sure that the material he was lying about was not in the post where
he was lying. It is why he would snip out the relevant material before
replying to a post.

What I need is a way to link back to the whole post, so that you can see
the context if you want to check it out.

Ron Okimoto
Bob Casanova
2024-09-19 04:15:09 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Post by RonO
[...]
Sure; that's what I meant by "multiple, usually
out-of-context and/or frequently irrelevant, snippets":
quote mining, plus irrelevancies.
Post by RonO
He had this notion of a self
contained lie, that he was supposed to have never told. Nyikos would
make sure that the material he was lying about was not in the post where
he was lying. It is why he would snip out the relevant material before
replying to a post.
What I need is a way to link back to the whole post, so that you can see
the context if you want to check it out.
If you have the message ID that should be enough, whether
Gurgle has it or not. If not (and I confess I really don't
know) you're out of luck.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
jillery
2024-09-20 11:31:13 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Post by RonO
[...]
Most of the bigger Usenet servers like Giganews claim to archive posts
for text froups like T.O. going back at least 10 years.

Agent has the ability to locally archive and search past posts. It's
ability to search using keywords is reasonably extensive. I have
archived T.O. since 1/1/2010. If anybody has a need, I can provide
complete copies of past posts going back to then.

To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
RonO
2024-09-20 13:54:16 UTC
Post by jillery
Post by erik simpson
Post by RonO
[...]
I am going to stick with eternal september and try the other options
that have been suggested. They seem to work.

Ron Okimoto
Post by jillery
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
erik simpson
2024-09-20 14:18:16 UTC
Post by jillery
Post by erik simpson
Post by RonO
[...]
With all that data, you could compile a book of Peter's contributions.
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Bob Casanova
2024-09-20 17:22:49 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2024 07:18:16 -0700, the following appeared
Post by erik simpson
Post by jillery
Post by erik simpson
Post by RonO
[...]
Or you could ram red-hot pokers into your eyes...
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
jillery
2024-09-24 13:15:02 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2024 07:18:16 -0700, erik simpson
Post by erik simpson
With all that data, you could compile a book of Peter's contributions.
Or your's.
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?

To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
erik simpson
2024-09-24 15:34:25 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?
--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
I should have "one could compile a book". But I wouldn't suggest that
anybody should.
*Hemidactylus*
2024-09-25 00:53:20 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?
--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
I should have "one could compile a book". But I wouldn't suggest that
anybody should.
There’s enough online to generate an AI version (a mindclone). Imagine how
fun that might be.
erik simpson
An AI version of Peter (or me)? Even more ughs.
*Hemidactylus*
An AI Erik might be interesting.
erik simpson
Artificial intelligence is better than none.
LDagget
2024-10-04 15:07:28 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Post by *Hemidactylus*
Post by erik simpson
Post by *Hemidactylus*
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?
--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
I should have "one could compile a book". But I wouldn't suggest that
anybody should.
There’s enough online to generate an AI version (a mindclone). Imagine how
fun that might be.
An AI version of Peter (or me)? Even more ughs.
An AI Erik might be interesting.
Artificial intelligence is better than none.
[3rd try]

Not sure I agree, as AI tends to be artificial parroting.
Be that as it may, and be this talk.origins, this suggest creation
of a bot that responds with fragments or mash-ups of Python sketches.

It would have to use ... sarcasm, all the tricks, dramatic irony,
metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire.
It would have to be vicious.

Kestrel Clayton
2024-09-25 17:00:41 UTC
Post by *Hemidactylus*
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?
--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
I should have "one could compile a book". But I wouldn't suggest that
anybody should.
There’s enough online to generate an AI version (a mindclone). Imagine how
fun that might be.
No. Please, no, I beg you.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Kestrel Clayton
but I'm not so fond of him any more.
*Hemidactylus*
2024-09-25 19:23:17 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Post by *Hemidactylus*
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?
--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
I should have "one could compile a book". But I wouldn't suggest that
anybody should.
There’s enough online to generate an AI version (a mindclone). Imagine how
fun that might be.
No. Please, no, I beg you.
I don’t have the chops for that and would think twice before unfurling it
upon the world if I did. Imagine the stuff said by posters decades ago it
might dredge up in mashup posts not germane to the thread topic while
crunching out new theories in both topology and vertebrate paleontology.
jillery
2024-09-26 09:47:39 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?
I should have "one could compile a book". But I wouldn't suggest that
anybody should.
A pointless distinction. The question remains.

To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
*Hemidactylus*
An AI jillery would lack the sense of humor.
jillery
2024-10-02 10:52:32 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
I could do that, but to what end?
I should have "one could compile a book". But I wouldn't suggest that
anybody should.
A pointless distinction. The question remains.
An AI jillery would lack the sense of humor.
An AI Hemidactlyus would fail to recognize its own lack of humor.

To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
André G. Isaak
2024-09-18 15:34:20 UTC
Post by RonO
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it was
easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.
I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.
Ron Okimoto
You can use the message ID.

People can then access articles from <http://al.howardknight.net>

André
--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.
RonO
2024-09-18 17:38:55 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by RonO
Now that google isn't archiving Newsgroups how do we link back to past
posts? I used to always use the google address for a post because it
was easy to get it, but that hasn't been possible after Google stopped
supporting newsgroups.
I've tried to find how eternal september could do it, but they do not
seem to have a feature to provide the post address like google had.
Ron Okimoto
You can use the message ID.
People can then access articles from <http://al.howardknight.net>
André