Test 3
Martin Harran
2024-05-16 16:32:04 UTC
Not a problem with NIN after all, it was a rogue character in subject
- an MS hyphen. Care needs to be taken when copying and pasting from
Word to Agent. Text body doesn't seem to be a problem, just the
subject line. Agent is very fussy in that regard!
Bob Casanova
2024-05-16 17:21:48 UTC
On Thu, 16 May 2024 17:32:04 +0100, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Martin Harran
Post by Martin Harran
Not a problem with NIN after all, it was a rogue character in subject
- an MS hyphen. Care needs to be taken when copying and pasting from
Word to Agent. Text body doesn't seem to be a problem, just the
subject line. Agent is very fussy in that regard!
Just FYI, it's not only copy/paste from Word that can cause
problems. I discovered that sometimes I need to re-type the
entire Subject: field in order to get a post through. And
since this has always been a reply in an existing thread
it's not due to copy/paste in the Subject: field. Doesn't
happen often, but it *has* happened half-a-dozen times in
the past 6 months or so. I suspect a non-ASCII "invisible"
character causes the problem, but since I have a workaround
I'm not interested in spending time digging into it.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
Martin Harran
2024-05-16 17:38:00 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Not a problem with NIN after all, it was a rogue character in subject
- an MS hyphen. Care needs to be taken when copying and pasting from
Word to Agent. Text body doesn't seem to be a problem, just the
subject line. Agent is very fussy in that regard!
Just FYI, it's not only copy/paste from Word that can cause
problems. I discovered that sometimes I need to re-type the
entire Subject: field in order to get a post through. And
since this has always been a reply in an existing thread
it's not due to copy/paste in the Subject: field. Doesn't
happen often, but it *has* happened half-a-dozen times in
the past 6 months or so. I suspect a non-ASCII "invisible"
character causes the problem, but since I have a workaround
I'm not interested in spending time digging into it.
Are you using Forte Agent? I am and have found it *very* fussy and
even setting it to UTF-8 doessn't solve the problem. A bit like that
issue of yours, I have found a couple of times when doing a Global
Search using an existing subject line, it also comes up with an error.
I suspect that this is the case where the poster has posted using
something other than Agent which accepts the character but Agent then
rejects it in a search. At least when searching, it does throw an
error rather than just silently refusing to process the post as it
does when posting.

Showing my age now but I still miss Outlook Express which always met
my posting needs without a problem and, IMO, was better than Agent in
some aspects.
Bob Casanova
2024-05-17 04:43:29 UTC
On Thu, 16 May 2024 18:38:00 +0100, the following appeared
Post by Martin Harran
Not a problem with NIN after all, it was a rogue character in subject
- an MS hyphen. Care needs to be taken when copying and pasting from
Word to Agent. Text body doesn't seem to be a problem, just the
subject line. Agent is very fussy in that regard!
Just FYI, it's not only copy/paste from Word that can cause
problems. I discovered that sometimes I need to re-type the
entire Subject: field in order to get a post through. And
since this has always been a reply in an existing thread
it's not due to copy/paste in the Subject: field. Doesn't
happen often, but it *has* happened half-a-dozen times in
the past 6 months or so. I suspect a non-ASCII "invisible"
character causes the problem, but since I have a workaround
I'm not interested in spending time digging into it.
Are you using Forte Agent?
Yep; used it since sometime in the '90s, IIRC. This is the
only issue I've encountered.
Post by Martin Harran
I am and have found it *very* fussy and
even setting it to UTF-8 doessn't solve the problem. A bit like that
issue of yours, I have found a couple of times when doing a Global
Search using an existing subject line, it also comes up with an error.
I suspect that this is the case where the poster has posted using
something other than Agent which accepts the character but Agent then
rejects it in a search. At least when searching, it does throw an
error rather than just silently refusing to process the post as it
does when posting.
Haven't seen that, but I don't recall ever using the global
search feature.

- Isaac Asimov
J. J. Lodder
2024-05-16 21:25:33 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Not a problem with NIN after all, it was a rogue character in subject
- an MS hyphen. Care needs to be taken when copying and pasting from
Word to Agent. Text body doesn't seem to be a problem, just the
subject line. Agent is very fussy in that regard!
All Newsgroup headers should be in god's own ASCII,
and nothing but ASCII, no matter what, always,

Jan
Bob Casanova
2024-05-17 04:44:11 UTC
On Thu, 16 May 2024 23:25:33 +0200, the following appeared
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Martin Harran
Not a problem with NIN after all, it was a rogue character in subject
- an MS hyphen. Care needs to be taken when copying and pasting from
Word to Agent. Text body doesn't seem to be a problem, just the
subject line. Agent is very fussy in that regard!
All Newsgroup headers should be in god's own ASCII,
and nothing but ASCII, no matter what, always,
Yep.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
Richmond
Does that mean God is a (North) American (excluding Canada)?
J. J. Lodder
2024-05-18 08:37:29 UTC
Post by Richmond
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Martin Harran
Not a problem with NIN after all, it was a rogue character in subject
- an MS hyphen. Care needs to be taken when copying and pasting from
Word to Agent. Text body doesn't seem to be a problem, just the
subject line. Agent is very fussy in that regard!
All Newsgroup headers should be in god's own ASCII,
and nothing but ASCII, no matter what, always,
Does that mean God is a (North) American (excluding Canada)?
Of course not, it is well know that God is an Englishman,

Jan