who would like to travel, meet interesting plants, and press them?
Add Reply
Burkhard
2024-10-06 08:18:28 UTC
Job advert via the Guardian for a botanist willing to travel in Darwin's
footsteps - though my guess is all the remaining contributors to TO are
a bit too long in the tooth for this

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/oct/06/wanted-expedition-botanist-to-follow-in-darwins-footsteps-and-look-for-plants?
Kestrel Clayton
2024-10-06 13:28:50 UTC
Post by Burkhard
Job advert via the Guardian for a botanist willing to travel in Darwin's
footsteps - though my guess is all the remaining contributors to TO are
a bit too long in the tooth for this
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/oct/06/wanted-expedition-
botanist-to-follow-in-darwins-footsteps-and-look-for-plants?
Ahem. My teeth remain firmly at a medium length, thank you very much.
Unfortunately, I don't know a squill from a spurge, even when the wind
is southerly.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Kestrel Clayton
host the black mass, and begin eating hearts." — Rose Bailey
RonO
2024-10-06 14:30:03 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Post by Burkhard
Job advert via the Guardian for a botanist willing to travel in Darwin's
footsteps - though my guess is all the remaining contributors to TO are
a bit too long in the tooth for this
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/oct/06/wanted-expedition-
botanist-to-follow-in-darwins-footsteps-and-look-for-plants?
Ahem. My teeth remain firmly at a medium length, thank you very much.
Unfortunately, I don't know a squill from a spurge, even when the wind
is southerly.
I took a graduate plant physiology course and it was one of the worst
classes that I have ever taken. The professor had gotten tenure, and
then quit science. He had an NSF or NIH grant, but he gave it back
because he no longer wanted to work on it. The department did not fire
him, and he did not even bother to prepare lectures most of the time,
and I learned most of the material out of the book. He remained in the
Biology department for several years after I took that class, eventually
got another PhD in Architecture and quit.

I did my undergraduate research in a maize genetics lab and did my own
crosses every summer, so I know one end of a plant from another, but I
never took a plant taxonomy class. This is a job for a beginning
scientist. They could spend the rest of their lives following up on
what they collected, but it should be a person that can identify
invasive species from indigenous.

Ron Okimoto
Ernest Major
2024-10-06 20:56:46 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Post by Burkhard
Job advert via the Guardian for a botanist willing to travel in Darwin's
footsteps - though my guess is all the remaining contributors to TO are
a bit too long in the tooth for this
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/oct/06/wanted-expedition-
botanist-to-follow-in-darwins-footsteps-and-look-for-plants?
Ahem. My teeth remain firmly at a medium length, thank you very much.
Unfortunately, I don't know a squill from a spurge, even when the wind
is southerly.
Telling a squill from a spurge is like telling a daisy from a daffodil.

I'm a decent field botanist, at least for my local patch, but I'd be
well out of my depth on that job.
alias Ernest Major
Pro Plyd
2024-10-08 04:47:40 UTC
Post by Burkhard
Job advert via the Guardian for a botanist willing to travel in Darwin's
footsteps - though my guess is all the remaining contributors to TO are
a bit too long in the tooth for this
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/oct/06/wanted-expedition-botanist-to-follow-in-darwins-footsteps-and-look-for-plants?
They should do it in something like the original
ship ;)
LDagget
2024-10-09 22:47:59 UTC
Post by Burkhard
Job advert via the Guardian for a botanist willing to travel in Darwin's
footsteps - though my guess is all the remaining contributors to TO are
a bit too long in the tooth for this
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/oct/06/wanted-expedition-botanist-to-follow-in-darwins-footsteps-and-look-for-plants?
For reasons I cannot fully articulate, I'm inspired to post a
link to a Grateful Dead video. Enjoy or excuse as per.