beagle hiccup
David Greig
2024-05-31 08:15:15 UTC
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.

apologies?
rebooted and seems to work

--D.
RonO
2024-05-31 10:36:02 UTC
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
--D.
Thank you for your efforts in keeping this running.

Ron Okimoto
Martin Harran
+1
jillery
2024-05-31 10:44:47 UTC
On Fri, 31 May 2024 08:15:15 -0000 (UTC), David Greig
<***@beagle.ediacara.org> wrote:

second try.
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
--D.
A hardware problem? Didn't you migrate Beagle into the Cloud?

To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
erik simpson
2024-05-31 14:42:37 UTC
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
--D.
A hardware problem? Didn't you migrate Beagle into the Cloud?
--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
You can't upload a server to the Cloud until it dies and is judged. If
it's proven worthy it lives forever in paradise. Othewise, to hell with
it. I'm confident that Beagle is among the elect; not so sure about
the rest of us.
*Hemidactylus*
2024-06-01 01:58:59 UTC
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
--D.
A hardware problem? Didn't you migrate Beagle into the Cloud?
--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
You can't upload a server to the Cloud until it dies and is judged. If
it's proven worthy it lives forever in paradise. Othewise, to hell with
it. I'm confident that Beagle is among the elect; not so sure about
the rest of us.
Beagles going into the clouds often results in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?si=uoE76xrQ3AK9XbPF&v=pTTDHHkQSFY

BTW I tried posting this earlier this evening to no avail so something is
still sputtering? I note the huge ebb in traffic over the past few days.
Bob Casanova
2024-05-31 16:28:21 UTC
On Fri, 31 May 2024 08:15:15 -0000 (UTC), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by David Greig
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
No apology necessary; you spend your irreplaceable time on
this, so everyone is, or should be, grateful for that.

As for the glitch, it's a computer; glitches are still
endemic to the breed. 'Nuff said.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
*Hemidactylus*
It still seems wonky.
Bob Casanova
2024-05-31 22:59:44 UTC
On Fri, 31 May 2024 19:32:00 +0000, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by *Hemidactylus*
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
No apology necessary; you spend your irreplaceable time on
this, so everyone is, or should be, grateful for that.
As for the glitch, it's a computer; glitches are still
endemic to the breed. 'Nuff said.
It still seems wonky.
Of course; as noted, wonky/glitchy/whatever is endemic to
computers, one of the main reasons I distrust the current
"AI" (it's not, it's an expert system with the bias of the
programmer inbuilt) and self-driving cars. Neither, IMHO, is
ready for prime time.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
*Hemidactylus*
2024-06-01 02:57:57 UTC
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
No apology necessary; you spend your irreplaceable time on
this, so everyone is, or should be, grateful for that.
As for the glitch, it's a computer; glitches are still
endemic to the breed. 'Nuff said.
It still seems wonky.
Of course; as noted, wonky/glitchy/whatever is endemic to
computers, one of the main reasons I distrust the current
"AI" (it's not, it's an expert system with the bias of the
programmer inbuilt) and self-driving cars. Neither, IMHO, is
ready for prime time.
I used ChatGPT once as a query for content of the book The Daughter of
Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. It spit back content from The
Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd. Oops.

Using Canva’s AI feature can be comical in results. I wanted it to generate
a Cylon in a lawn chair reading a book which it did pretty good on though a
few results looked more like Mandalorians. When asked to render an octopus
in a beach scene it fused some limbs together and had severed limbs
scattered across the beach sand. It sucked at doing given words on
graphical displays.

Still much better than a Cybertruck in real life. Who drives those? A Tesla
Plaid I could understand from a muscle car perspective but forget one of
those beasts in self drive mode given the insane acceleration.
Martin Harran
2024-06-01 12:41:32 UTC
Post by David Greig
the disk didn't fill, I didn't patch... it just... stopped.
apologies?
rebooted and seems to work
No apology necessary; you spend your irreplaceable time on
this, so everyone is, or should be, grateful for that.
As for the glitch, it's a computer; glitches are still
endemic to the breed. 'Nuff said.
It still seems wonky.
Yes, I am still getting some posts appearing first time, others having
to be posted several times.