whenwhen Skye was a sub-tropical paradise with warm shallow seas
burkhard
2024-07-24 21:00:25 UTC
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)

My next-building colleagues did some interesting stuff with mammal
fossils from Skye that tells us new things about mammalian evolution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0xj65nelv0o

beannachd leis a h-uile duine!
André G. Isaak
2024-07-24 21:35:12 UTC
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.

André
--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.
Bob Casanova
2024-07-24 22:52:47 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 15:35:12 -0600, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by André G. Isaak
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)

It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
erik simpson
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
John Harshman
2024-07-25 02:41:41 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
You underestimate the abilities of some people to deny. Incidentally,
Sunday and Monday were the two hottest days in recorded history (world
average).
Bob Casanova
2024-07-25 04:09:04 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 19:41:41 -0700, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by John Harshman
Post by John Harshman
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
You underestimate the abilities of some people to deny. Incidentally,
Sunday and Monday were the two hottest days in recorded history (world
average).
"Recorded history" dating back...200 years?
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
William Hyde
2024-07-25 17:56:02 UTC
Post by John Harshman
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
You underestimate the abilities of some people to deny. Incidentally,
Sunday and Monday were the two hottest days in recorded history (world
average).
"Recorded history" dating back...200 years?
The instrumental record does not go back that far in the sense of global
coverage, though isolated areas do have longer records - but there is
then the question of accuracy, reliability, and so forth.

We know the world is much warmer than in 1824 from a mass of data, but
temperature records form a small part of this.

In later times when we have more measurements, but still not global
coverage, a lot can be done with statistical methods, but the fewer and
worse distributed the observations, the larger the error bars.

How far in the past we have a global temperature estimate accurate to
within .2C is a question to which I don't have an answer. I would
suspect no less than 50 years or so, and possibly a hundred.

The good news for me is that this summer I'm not coughing up bits of
tree. Of course, that is largely because so much of the susceptible
area is still ash from last year. But I'll take all the small victories
I can get.

William Hyde
erik simpson
2024-07-25 21:22:09 UTC
Post by John Harshman
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
[...]
Where are you that you got smoked last year? I live on the east side of
the Sierra Nevada, where we had very bad smoke three or four years ago.
This year we've been pretty good.
William Hyde
2024-07-26 21:08:11 UTC
Post by John Harshman
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
[...]
I live in Toronto, where the smoke was nowhere near as bad as in, say,
NY or DC.

But I coughed a lot that summer, and so far not this summer.

The only compensation was a beautiful blood-red moon.

And in the past 24hourse we've lost most of another town, the resort of
Jasper.

William Hyde
André G. Isaak
2024-07-26 21:22:11 UTC
Post by William Hyde
I live in Toronto, where the smoke was nowhere near as bad as in, say,
NY or DC.
But I coughed a lot that summer, and so far not this summer.
The only compensation was a beautiful blood-red moon.
And in the past 24hourse we've lost most of another town, the resort of
Jasper.
I'm in Calgary, so much closer to Jasper. For the past several days the
smoke here has been extremely bad, but it now seems to have abated.

André
--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.
erik simpson
2024-07-27 00:02:18 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by John Harshman
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
[...]
A terrible loss. I've been to the Canadian Rockies many times, always
at least passing through Jasper.
Bob Casanova
2024-07-27 16:44:49 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jul 2024 13:56:02 -0400, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by William Hyde
Post by John Harshman
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
[...]
That was pretty much my point, that to say something is the
highest in recorded history is a bit disingenuous when
recorded history of temperatures goes back no further than,
at most, the invention of the thermometer, and until the
past few decades it's far from "global". Yes, we can glean
some information from such things as ice cores and tree
rings, but neither is so fine-grained as to allow the sort
of daily measurements we see today. And the further back we
go, the more coarse the measurements temporally; at 1Mya
it's probably no finer than a thousand-year interval, if
that.
Post by William Hyde
The good news for me is that this summer I'm not coughing up bits of
tree. Of course, that is largely because so much of the susceptible
area is still ash from last year. But I'll take all the small victories
I can get.
Where are you (in general)? I'm in the desert below Phoenix,
and while we get frequent dust storms, even when there are
wildfires nearby say within 100 miles or so) we hardly ever
get smoke; wind patterns, I suppose.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
Bob Casanova
2024-07-25 04:12:30 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 16:20:17 -0700, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by erik simpson
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
Nobody with a brain and access to data denies that the Earth
is warming, at least WRT the 1500s. Now WRT 6000BCE, OTOH...

Not really a good idea to use the Little Ice Age as a
baseline.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
J. J. Lodder
2024-07-25 13:47:03 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
It may well get much colder than that, with the Gulf Stream stopping.
Since the warming farther south won't stop the weather will get fiercer.
You'll be getting cold and tropical storms...

Jan
erik simpson
2024-07-25 15:32:22 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
It may well get much colder than that, with the Gulf Stream stopping.
Since the warming farther south won't stop the weather will get fiercer.
You'll be getting cold and tropical storms...
Jan
"World averages" require some work and thought. Almost any local
changes could be greater or less, depending on many things. The
collapse of circulation patterns in the north Atlantic would probably
make things in northern Europe cooler.
J. J. Lodder
2024-07-26 10:56:57 UTC
Post by erik simpson
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
[...]
Certainly, but that makes all gradients steeper.
So the weather will probably get a lot fiercer,
in a wide band of latitudes,

Jan
erik simpson
"Fiercer" is a good description!
Chris Thompson
2024-07-26 23:53:47 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
When it gets to that in Skye, global warming won't be deniable by anybody.
It may well get much colder than that, with the Gulf Stream stopping.
Since the warming farther south won't stop the weather will get fiercer.
You'll be getting cold and tropical storms...
Jan
Here's what seems to be a good read (I'm not a climatologist so I can't
vouch for it in toto). It's not a pleasant read, mind you, but this is
one of those rare articles that go on long enough for you to get a real
sense of what they're talking about.

https://www.wired.com/story/amoc-collapse-atlantic-ocean/

Chris
PS And yes, here in NYC last year the smoke was awful. Everything
closed- businesses, schools, you name it. Visibility was down to maybe
500 meters. And I saw parents wheeling their kids around in strollers
with no masks.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2024-07-25 09:06:56 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
They've been predicting 33-35° for us for days, but it's never been
that hot on our balcony -- maybe 31° maximum.
athel cb : Biochemical Evolution, Garland Science, 2016
jillery
2024-07-25 12:59:57 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
They've been predicting 33-35° for us for days, but it's never been
that hot on our balcony -- maybe 31° maximum.
When people start posting about the weather, that's how you know
parents have taken over T.O.

And to add the standard disclaimer, weather != climate change.

To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge
erik simpson
2024-07-26 15:49:54 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
They've been predicting 33-35° for us for days, but it's never been that
hot on our balcony -- maybe 31° maximum.
A friend of mine was injured in Italy and spend more time the he wanted
in a hospital there. He complained about the lack of air conditioning
even there. I've heard that France is also air conditioner deficient.
Is that your experience?
J. J. Lodder
2024-07-27 09:44:14 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
They've been predicting 33-35° for us for days, but it's never been that
hot on our balcony -- maybe 31° maximum.
A friend of mine was injured in Italy and spend more time the he wanted
in a hospital there. He complained about the lack of air conditioning
even there. I've heard that France is also air conditioner deficient.
Is that your experience?
Softies, you Americans,

Jan
Bob Casanova
2024-07-27 16:49:53 UTC
On Sat, 27 Jul 2024 11:44:14 +0200, the following appeared
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we can see
it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
They've been predicting 33-35° for us for days, but it's never been that
hot on our balcony -- maybe 31° maximum.
A friend of mine was injured in Italy and spend more time the he wanted
in a hospital there. He complained about the lack of air conditioning
even there. I've heard that France is also air conditioner deficient.
Is that your experience?
Softies, you Americans,
I suspect that if the Netherlands had the climate which is
normal here in many places you'd be a "softy" too. Come to
Phoenix in July and go without AC for a few weeks, then
repeat that.

Why be intentionally uncomfortable?
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
J. J. Lodder
2024-07-27 21:11:56 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
It isn't any longer now, that much I can tell you - though we braced the
cold and went for a swim yesterday. Not exactly Skye, though we
can see it from where we are (Malaig)
I envy you. It was 37° C here yesterday.
Oooh, a low-temp sauna! ;-)
It's varied form 42C to 47C (daytime highs) here this month,
with dew points from -5C to 23C. A "dry heat" it's not, at
this time of year. :-(
They've been predicting 33-35° for us for days, but it's never been
that > hot on our balcony -- maybe 31° maximum. > > A friend of mine
was injured in Italy and spend more time the he wanted in a hospital
there. He complained about the lack of air conditioning even there.
I've heard that France is also air conditioner deficient.
Is that your experience?
Softies, you Americans,
I suspect that if the Netherlands had the climate which is
normal here in many places you'd be a "softy" too. Come to
Phoenix in July and go without AC for a few weeks, then
repeat that.
There you go again. It was Italy and France that we were talking about.
Post by Bob Casanova
Why be intentionally uncomfortable?
Burning coal to feed air conditioners to combat global warming
is of course the way to go,

Jan
Bob Casanova
2024-07-27 23:17:18 UTC
Post by André G. Isaak
Post by burkhard
[...]
So your comment, "Softies, you Americans," was about Italy
and France? We must have admitted them to the Union when I
wasn't looking...
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Bob Casanova
Why be intentionally uncomfortable?
Burning coal to feed air conditioners to combat global warming
is of course the way to go,
So all electricity is produced by coal? That would be news
to the operators of nuclear, hydro and gas-fired plants.

Granted, if you're referring to China it *is* mostly
coal-powered generation, with AIUI dozens more plants added
every year. And the US is reducing the use of coal, while
China is increasing it. So I don't think that if I do
without AC it will offset the huge amount of CO2 generated
in China.
--
Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2024-07-28 09:25:43 UTC
Post by Bob Casanova
Why be intentionally uncomfortable?
Burning coal to feed air conditioners to combat global warming
is of course the way to go,
I can't find a reference to it now, but my recollection (possibly quite
wrong) is that in the 1930s there was a major exhibition in London
where the buildings were heated with a giant heat exhanger driven by
the flow of the Thames: no burning involved, even indirectly.
athel cb : Biochemical Evolution, Garland Science, 2016
J. J. Lodder
2024-07-28 19:33:01 UTC
Post by Bob Casanova
Why be intentionally uncomfortable?
Burning coal to feed air conditioners to combat global warming
is of course the way to go,
I can't find a reference to it now, but my recollection (possibly quite
wrong) is that in the 1930s there was a major exhibition in London
where the buildings were heated with a giant heat exhanger driven by
the flow of the Thames: no burning involved, even indirectly.
Quite possible in theory, and perhaps possibly practical,
in those long past days when grids hardly existed.
(each power station kept its own frequency and time, then)

These days it is more practical to derive power from the river current,
and to feed it into the grid, (if economical) [1]
and to drive a heat pump between Thames water and heating equipment,
with power taken from the grid.

Jan

[1] FYA, in the news recently, there is a highly original pilot project
to derive power from tidal currents using underwater 'kites'.
The kites are programmed to execute figure-8 motions,
and power is generated by reeling them in and out.