California Dairy herds positive for the dairy virus
Add Reply
RonO
2024-09-05 01:23:07 UTC
3 herds in California central valley have been found to be positive for
the dairy virus.

https://www.statnews.com/2024/08/29/california-nations-largest-milk-producer-discloses-possible-bird-flu-outbreaks-in-three-dairy-cow-herds/

They claim that California workers are "usually" dedicated to just one
herd so do not pick up shifts at nearby poultry farms, but months ago
(before I retired in May) I noted that California had high levels of
influenza virus in the waste water around the bay area. At that time
they had estimated that the virus first infected cattle Sept or Oct
2023, and they hadn't yet found viral sequence from herds infected that
early in Texas. When I looked into the avian influenza cases the Dairy
virus was most similar to one isolated from a Peregrine falcon in
California. California had high levels of influenza virus in their
waste water (associated with infected herds in Texas and Michigan) and
Commercial poultry farms started to go down in the central valley in Oct
2023 (the flocks get infected by the dairy workers). A number of flocks
went down within a few months working their way up North and around the
bay area.

I contacted a person at the Avian disease ARS station in Georgia, and
tried to get the name of the person that would have the sequence data of
the California samples (they had not been included in any of the dairy
virus studies) but I was told that the USDA did not give out that
information. I told the guy that they needed to check out those
samples, but his comment was that they were busy.

My prediction is that when they sequence the central valley virus they
could identify the region where the initial dairy infection occurred and
it spread from California to Texas. The virus spread rapidly out of
Texas, but it probably came from somewhere else.

The CDC and USDA would have identified many more states with infected
herds by now if they had acted on the waste water data and the FDA
identification of states with virus positive dairy products. The Dairy
workers are not being protected from being infected in states that
refuse to identify their infected herds.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-06 22:34:23 UTC
Post by RonO
[...]
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/person-infected-bird-flu-missouri-no-contact-animals-know-rcna170010

There has been a case of H5N1 in a human in Missouri, but this person
did not have contact with poultry or dairy cattle. My guess is that it
is person to person transmission. Missouri is one of the states that
has not verified any positive dairy herds (no one has been looking), but
Kansas and Oklahoma have positive dairy herds. They have known that it
was likely human transmission into Kansas and North Dakota from Texas
because neither states got cattle from Texas, but both states got the
virus from Texas. Human to human transmission has probably been going
on for some time, but they never started contact tracing to identify
possibly infected herds nor to determine how the virus was transmitted
to the herds and poultry flocks that have been infected.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-07 19:17:17 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
The virus is H5, but hasn't been confirmed to be the dairy virus. The
article notes that Missouri hasn't claimed to have positive herds at
this time, but commercial poultry flocks have gone down and that usually
happens when the dairies are infected and dairy workers take it to the
poultry farms. Previous human cases had mild symptoms, but this person
was hospitalized. The USDA and CDC are still not doing anything to
identify all the infected herds in states like Missouri, so nothing much
has been done to minimize the exposure of dairy workers. My guess is
that an infected dairy worker infected this patient, and it is a case of
human to human transmission.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-08 23:55:20 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
As stupid as it may be the CDC response to the latest human infection
without contact with animals is worse than can be imagined. They did
not send a team to investigate, and have not started contact tracing and
testing of close contacts. It seems crazy when you think that the
person was hospitalized, and this is obviously a serious case of
infection. What they do not want is the 50% human mortality associated
with the H5N1 virus to become a reality for the dairy virus. The CDC
continues to do nothing but monitor the disease in two states, which is
just nuts. They are actually waiting for it to become a noticeable
problem somewhere else before starting to do anything in other states.

https://www.statnews.com/2024/09/08/missouri-h5-bird-flu-case-questions-cat-raw-milk/

Ron Okimoto

RonO
2024-09-11 17:05:34 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
patient, and it is a case of human to human transmission.
[...]
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-09-missouri-resident-bird-flu-livestock.html

This ariticle seems to be trying to downplay the possibility of human to
human transmission. The Texas antibody testing of dairy workers have
already come out with evidence for human to human transmission because
one of the workers positive for H5 antibodies did not have contact with
cattle, and only had contact with other dairy workers. There was also
the case of the indoor cat in Colorado that was probably infected by
humans. The states that did not get cattle from affected states, but
still got the dairy virus were likely infected by human dairy workers
migrating to those states. Kansas got infected from Texas, and then
Dakota got infected with the strain in Kansas, and Kansas did not get
cattle from Texas, and South Dakota did not get cattle from Kansas. The
CDC has known this since about the beginning of detecting the infections
in April, but they never started human contact tracing to determine how
all the dairy herds and poultry flocks were being infected.

Humans have been transmitting the virus since the start of this fiasco.
Humans could have brought the virus into Texas. The Texas Dairy worker
that was the first infection had a virus that had branched off earlier
than the strain that infected Texas. They never got the name of that
dairy worker, so they couldn't ask him where he could have been
infected. He could have been infected in the state that was the origin
of the dairy infection. One of his fellow dairy workers could have been
infected in that same state, but brought in the Texas strain (one with
more substitutions than the strain that infected the first dairy worker).

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-12 16:59:52 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
New Texas Waste water data indicates that H5N1 seems to have started to
be detected in 10 Texas cities monitored in March 2024 (when the Texas
Dairy infections were first detected) but were not found in samples
taken earlier in the year. This study used a detection method that uses
a probe to pull out the influenza RNA from the waste water, so they can
get the sequence of RNA and determine what strain of influenza they are
picking up. Even though there was no indication of human infections (no
increase in influenza cases) the waste water for these cities were
positive. The high levels of influenza in various Texas county's waste
water has been attributed to dairy farms, but these samples were from
city waste water. It could still be due to milk products in the waste
water, but it might also mean that there were undetected human
infections (the letter claims waste water results are due to "multiple
animal" infections). Most of the infected humans have had mild
symptoms, and the infection was not respiratory, but involved their
eyes. The virus was not detected in nasal swabs, and only in eye swab
samples.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2405937

It could be that human infection was already wide spread in March.
Since contact tracing and testing was never implemented, no one knows
how wide spread the human infections have been and how much they have
contributed to the infection of dairy herds and poultry flocks. One
dairy worker that did not have contact with cattle was found to have
been infected by the dairy virus, and may have been infected by human
contact (the antibody positive dairy worker worked in the dairy
cafeteria). My take is that the infections may have gone unnoticed
because the symptoms are just itchy eyes, and it was the spring pollen
season. People touching infected surfaces and then rubbing their eyes
would be infected.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-14 22:09:15 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
worker infected this patient, and it is a case of human to human
[...]
Other close contacts to the Missouri case showed symptoms. One
recovered and was in the same household as the positive patient, but was
not tested. A second health care worker showed symptoms, but tested
negative. The issue is that the health care worker was likely tested by
local medical and not the CDC so the collection was not done as it
should have been. The CDC knows that the patients eyes should be
tested, but the Missouri doctors likely only tested them by taking the
usual nasal or bucal swabs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-says-no-clear-source-bird-flu-infection-missouri-patient-rcna170871

They do not think that the Missouri patient had a severe case of
influenza because she did not have the usual symptoms, but she did have
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and weakness that have been symptoms
exhibited by the humans infected with the Asian H5N1 high mortality
virus. They do not acknowledge that fact in claiming that the patient
did not have the usual influenza symptoms. This almost seems like some
type of cover up instead of trying to get the answers that need to be
gotten out of Missouri. The CDC still does not have a team in Missouri
running down contacts, and trying to get to the source of the infection.
They only admitted that someone else in the household may have been
infected, and would have likely been infected by the hospital patient.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-14 22:23:13 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/13/health/missouri-bird-flu-h5n1/index.html

The CDC has admitted that the Missouri H5 virus is closely related to
dairy virus and is likely part of the spread of the dairy H5N1, but they
did not release any phylogenetic analysis which is pretty much done when
you do the sequence comparison, so we do not know where the dairy virus
may have come from. The Colorado virus that infected all the farm
workers in that state was most closely related to the virus isolated
from a Michigan farm worker. So somehow that virus got from Michigan to
Colorado, and some dairy worker or their close contact likely was
infected and took it to Colorado. The virus doesn't survive on
equipment or clothing long enough to make the trip. The CDC is trying
to down play the possiblity of human transmission, but it has likely
been going on since the start of the dairy virus fiasco. They have
known since Texas and Michigan that human dairy workers likely took the
virus to poultry farms because it doesn't survive on clothing long
enough to go from farm to farm and no one takes equipment from a dairy
farm to a poultry farm, and they found that some dairy workers and or
their close contacts also worked on commercial poultry farms. The most
likely scenario was that these dairy workers were infected and took the
virus to the other farms, but this has been downplayed from the beginning.

Ron Okimoto
2024-09-14 23:12:30 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
Is there any reason why this might be different
from other types of flu?

Is there any reason why it would be difficult to
add to the next flu shot?

Is there any reason why they might not bother doing
that?

Are you purposefully suppressing the word 'influenza'
as a joke?

Am I confused. Is this a totally different type of
virus?
RonO
2024-09-15 01:27:20 UTC
Post by x
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
[...]
This is influenza A, but it has not fully adapted to infecting mammals
at this time, and is still considered to be an Avian Influenza, but all
human influenza A strains were once Avian Influenzas. The dairy H5N1
strain that infected the Colorado workers seems to more easily infect
humans, but it is claimed that it still lacks the usual mutations needed
to become a human infectious virus.

The Dairy H5N1 is related to the Asian Avian H5N1 virus that is
associated with 50% mortality in the humans that it has infected, but
the Dairy H5N1 is a recombinant. It does have the same H5 and N1 genes
as the Asian strain, but half of it's genome comes from a North American
strain of Avian influenza. Instead of having a 50% mortality in humans
the dairy H5N1 has, so far, exhibited only mild symptoms in those
infected. The major fear is that it will coinfect with a human
influenza A strain and recombine to become more of a hazard.
Post by x
Is there any reason why it would be difficult to
add to the next flu shot?
They can add it to the next flu shot, but at this time they do not know
what the sequence will be if it adapts to humans. A current H5 vaccine
strain of the virus does make neutralizing antibodies to the H5 antigen
of the Dairy virus, but this latest Missouri strain has 2 additional
amino acid substitutions in it that may compromise the neutralizing
ability of that H5 vaccine strain.
Post by x
Is there any reason why they might not bother doing
that?
They are already planning to make a vaccine, as soon as the virus adapts
to humans and they know what they need to make a vaccine against.
Post by x
Are you purposefully suppressing the word 'influenza'
as a joke?
Everyone should know that bird flu or dairy flu is influenza.
Post by x
Am I confused.  Is this a totally different type of
virus?
It is currently classified as an H5N1 Avian Influenza virus, but it can
obviously infect mammals. As I noted before all human influenza A
strains evolved from Avian influenza strains. That is where the "A"
comes from. H5 and N1 are just allele designations of the two main viral
antigens used to classify viral subtypes. The Dairy virus H5 gene is
the same clade (2.3.4.4b) as the H5N1 Asian avian influenza virus that
has killed 800 people (50% mortality), but it is genotype B3.13 because
part of it's genome comes from another Avian influenza virus. We are
lucky that this is the case because, so far, there hasn't been any
mortality among the infected humans (high mortality among infected cats)
and only mild symptoms.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-17 01:18:12 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by x
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by x
Am I confused.  Is this a totally different type of
virus?
It is currently classified as an H5N1 Avian Influenza virus, but it can
obviously infect mammals.  As I noted before all human influenza A
strains evolved from Avian influenza strains.  That is where the "A"
comes from. H5 and N1 are just allele designations of the two main viral
antigens used to classify viral subtypes.  The Dairy virus H5 gene is
the same clade (2.3.4.4b) as the H5N1 Asian avian influenza virus that
has killed 800 people (50% mortality), but it is genotype B3.13 because
part of it's genome comes from another Avian influenza virus.  We are
lucky that this is the case because, so far, there hasn't been any
mortality among the infected humans (high mortality among infected cats)
and only mild symptoms.
Ron Okimoto
https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2024-09-04/bird-flu-outbreaks-confirmed-in-three-california-dairy-farms

The California dairy influenza is reportedly most closely related to the
Colorado virus (which is most closely related to the virus isolated from
one of the Michigan dairy workers). Doesn't this mean that it is more
likely that an infected dairy worker brought the virus from Colorado?
They claim that it is due to transfer of cattle, but all lactating
cattle have to be tested before interstate transfer. Later in the
article they claim that transfer of newborn calves is common, and my
guess is that they do not fall under the new USDA guidelines for
testing. The calves could be infected if they are fed contaminated milk
before shipping them out.

I thought that they may have picked up evidence of earlier infection in
the California herds, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-17 01:30:40 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by x
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by x
[...]
What the article does not mention is that 10 (11 if you count the
Michigan dairy worker with the same strain) of the 14 known human
infection cases were infected by the Colorado strain of the virus. That
should be an important consideration when they consider the possible
infection of the California dairy workers. Probably 1/5 of the dairy
cattle in the US are in California. The impact on human infections
could be something to worry about.

Ron Okimoto
2024-09-17 18:18:16 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by x
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by x
[...]
Ok. Sorry to have implied that about a joke.

What is going on with the flu strains with a 50% fatality rate?

Is that something involving low numbers of infected and statistics
or is that something real about the nature of those flu strains?

Does that involve differences in antigen presentation?

Do they have symptoms similar to other flu but more severe
or can they have vastly different symptom sets in comparison
with other colds or flus?
RonO
2024-09-17 18:57:05 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by x
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by x
[...]
There is an Asian and European H5N1 strain of avian influenza that has
been responsible for over 800 human deaths (50% mortality of known
infected humans). Infection is not a common occurrence and requires
contact with infected birds. Wild bird migration brought this virus to
North America, but the virus that infected the Dairy cattle was a
recombinant with another North American avian influenza strain. It
inherited the H5 and N1 antigen genes from the Asian virus, but around
half of it's genome comes from another influenza virus. This is likely
why it doesn't have a 50% mortality when it infects humans. So far
humans have only exhibited mild symptoms, but the worry is that the
virus will mutate to better infect humans and become more pathogenic.
Is that something involving low numbers of infected and statistics
or is that something real about the nature of those flu strains?
As noted above the Asian H5N1 has infected fewer than 2,000 people in
Asia and Europe, but over 800 of them died due to the infection.
Does that involve differences in antigen presentation?
Due to the recombinant half, the dairy virus is antigenically different
than the Asian H5N1, but initially the H5 antigen was neutralized by
related H5 virus that the CDC had already banked for vaccine use. One
thing that they are not making a big deal about is that the latest human
case (without known animal contact) in Missouri has a couple of amino
acid substitutions relative to the original dairy H5 and the Missouri H5
can avoid the existing H5 antibodies, and those antibodies are now 10 to
100 times less effective in neutralizing an infection. This just means
that they have to start working up a vaccine strain with the new H5
mutations.
Do they have symptoms similar to other flu but more severe
or can they have vastly different symptom sets in comparison
with other colds or flus?
Most of the humans infected with the dairy virus have mild symptoms with
most of them having only itchy eyes. The virus was not isolated from
nasal swabs so the infection had not become respiratory. Virus has been
isolated from eye swabs of infected individuals. The latest Missouri
example is different. Apparently the virus was detected in samples
taken normally to check for respiratory infections, but the patient was
not exhibiting the normal respiratory symptoms. Instead the patient had
"nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and weakness". The CDC has noted that these
are not the normal respiratory symptoms of influenza, but they do not
note that these are symptoms that have been associated with the H5N1
Asian virus with a high human mortality. The CDC seems to have the goal
of downplaying how bad things probably are.

Ron Okimoto
*Hemidactylus*
2024-09-18 16:11:29 UTC
[snip]
Post by RonO
[...]
So the common misnomer of “stomach flu” applied to norovirus would actually
apply in cases where influenza infection actually does result in digestive
symptoms?

So if someone says “I have stomach flu” I would now reply “I sure hope
you’re wrongly calling noro that, because actual H5 stomach flu is much
worse!”
RonO
2024-09-18 17:58:25 UTC
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[snip]
Post by RonO
[...]
Yes, influenza virus can be associated with "stomach flu" symptoms, and
as I noted the H5N1 avian influenza virus that has a high mortality in
humans has produced these symptoms.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22401-bird-flu

Until the Missouri case the dairy H5N1 had not been associated with
those symptoms, but they have occurred in the high mortality cases of
humans infected by the Asian strain of H5N1.
Post by *Hemidactylus*
So if someone says “I have stomach flu” I would now reply “I sure hope
you’re wrongly calling noro that, because actual H5 stomach flu is much
worse!”
The Asian H5N1 has a 50% mortality in humans. As I have noted the Dairy
H5N1 is a recombinant and around half of it's genome comes from another
avian influenza virus. The Dairy H5N1 had only been associated with
mild symptoms until the Missouri case, and the CDC is trying to claim
that the Missouri patients symptoms were due to something else other
than the dairy virus. They are probably wrong because another person
(close contact of the hospitalized patient) exhibited the same symptoms
but was never tested.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-19 12:52:51 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[snip]
Post by *Hemidactylus*
So if someone says “I have stomach flu” I would now reply “I sure hope
you’re wrongly calling noro that, because actual H5 stomach flu is much
worse!”
The Asian H5N1 has a 50% mortality in humans.  As I have noted the Dairy
H5N1 is a recombinant and around half of it's genome comes from another
avian influenza virus.  The Dairy H5N1 had only been associated with
mild symptoms until the Missouri case, and the CDC is trying to claim
that the Missouri patients symptoms were due to something else other
than the dairy virus.  They are probably wrong because another person
(close contact of the hospitalized patient) exhibited the same symptoms
but was never tested.
Ron Okimoto
What should be noted on TO is that the CDC is trying to downplay how bad
the current situation is by using a common creationist tactic. It is
the lie of omission. It is the truth that the patient did not have the
usual influenza symptoms, and the symptoms associated with the dairy
virus, but they know that the symptoms that were expressed have been
associated with the Asian H5N1 human infections that resulted in a high
mortality among those infected. Instead of being nothing to worry about
and the claims that it is a "one off" type of infection. These symptoms
could be evidence that the virus is changing to become more pathogenic
in humans, and is evidence for human to human transmission because this
patient did not have contact with farm animals.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-21 14:04:27 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[snip]
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[...]
California seems to have an expanding situation. They thought that they
had it contained to a few herds, but 10 more herds have been detected
since the first couple of positive test results. It looks like
California has at least 16 total cases so far. They thought that they
had detected it early, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems
to have been more wide spread before they detected the first cases.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-22 14:15:51 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[snip]
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[...]
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/sep/22/missouri-bird-flu-case-no-animal-contact

This Guardian article claims that only 240 people have been tested for
H5N1 infection. This number is pathetically low considering the number
of dairies and poultry farms that have had exposed workers, and the fact
that contact tracing and testing should have been going on from the
first identified human case. 14 of the 240 have tested positive (5.8%).
Does anyone remember the claims that 5% was the point for positive
covid tests that indicated that things were bad enough to call it a
pandemic and that infection risk in the area was high? They were
dealing with hundreds of thousands of tests by then, but testing never
started for the Dairy virus.

A lot of cases have likely gone undetected. Texas did an antibody test
for H5N1 on 14 dairy workers and 2 of them were positive for H5
antibodies (had been previously infected). One of the dairy workers had
not had contact with cattle (worked in the dairy cafeteria) and was
evidence of human to human spread. That was in August when the results
were released.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-23 16:06:30 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[snip]
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[...]
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/avian-influenza-bird-flu/california-confirms-more-avian-flu-dairy-herds-poultry

Poultry farms are starting to go down in California again. I noted that
Poultry farms started to go down in the Central valley and moved up into
the bay area Oct. 2023 when the dairy virus was supposed to have first
infected cattle. That infectious cycle supposedly died out by June
2024, but now after possibly reintroducing the dairy virus poultry farms
are starting to go down again.

The FDA is also starting to look into what the components will be for an
H5 human vaccine. The recent Missouri case had 2 mutations in the H5
gene that reduced existing H5 antibody neutralization by 10 to 100 fold,
so my take is that they need to look for how the dairy virus is mutating
before figuring out what then need in the vaccine.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-09-24 14:00:26 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[snip]
Post by *Hemidactylus*
[...]
The number of infected herds has exploded in California. This article
claims 24 with 34 total, but the USDA site has the number at 26 with 36
total. California initially thought that they had the infection
contained to the first half dozen herds, but they were wrong.

https://www.agriculture.com/number-of-california-dairy-herds-with-bird-flu-triples-in-a-week-8717261

They can expect a lot more poultry farms to go down if they are not
restricting farm workers from going from farm to farm.

Ron Okimoto