Creationism, Intelligent Design and Vendanta
RonO
2024-08-06 13:46:53 UTC
I found an article on creationism, intelligent design and Vendanta.
Even though Kalkidas came out as a normal Biblical creationists there
have been Hindu sympathetic to Scientific Creationism and the ID
creationist scam on TO.

The author thinks that science is a search for truth. I have never
considered science to be a search for truth. It is just the best means
we have of developing a working understanding of nature. This
understanding may not be the "truth" but it could be close, and allows
us to improve our understanding of nature and expand a functional
understanding of the reality that we exist in.

I do not recall Kalk ever stating how intelligent design supported his
hindu beliefs, and vice versa, but he did quote the Vedas from time to time.

A section of the paper compares Vendata to the ID creationist scam.

Ron Okimoto
Kestrel Clayton
2024-08-06 16:24:30 UTC
I found an article on creationism, intelligent design and Vendanta. Even
though Kalkidas came out as a normal Biblical creationists there have
been Hindu sympathetic to Scientific Creationism and the ID creationist
scam on TO.
The author thinks that science is a search for truth.  I have never
considered science to be a search for truth.  It is just the best means
we have of developing a working understanding of nature.  This
understanding may not be the "truth" but it could be close, and allows
us to improve our understanding of nature and expand a functional
understanding of the reality that we exist in.
I do not recall Kalk ever stating how intelligent design supported his
hindu beliefs, and vice versa, but he did quote the Vedas from time to time.
A section of the paper compares Vendata to the ID creationist scam.
Huh. I missed Kalkidas coming out as a fundamentalist Christian
creationist. Did he have a conversion experience, or was he a Christian
all along and lying about it?

Either way, I'm not all that surprised. For a lot of folks, denialism
isn't about what is, but rather what ISN'T: Moon landing denialists will
gladly accommodate flat-Earthers, orbit-onlyists,
fake-landings-real-pictures, fake-pictures-real-landings, and even
"secret nazi base on the far side of the Moon" crackpots, as long as
they all agree that the official account is somehow bogus.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Kestrel Clayton
but I'm not so fond of him any more.
RonO
2024-08-06 21:04:16 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Post by RonO
[...]
Kalk probably isn't a fundy. Unless he was just pretending, he seems to
be an old earth anti-evolution creationist.
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Either way, I'm not all that surprised. For a lot of folks, denialism
isn't about what is, but rather what ISN'T: Moon landing denialists will
gladly accommodate flat-Earthers, orbit-onlyists,
fake-landings-real-pictures, fake-pictures-real-landings, and even
"secret nazi base on the far side of the Moon" crackpots, as long as
they all agree that the official account is somehow bogus.
My guess is that Kalk pretended to be a Hindu in order to provide more
credence to his support for the intelligent design creationist scam.
Since most of the IDiotic creationist supporters were and still are YEC,
he could have just been old earth like Pagano without the literalistic
geocentric beliefs. All the ID perps are Christian with a couple Jewish
fellows (Berlinski claims to be an agnostic). There was a muslim that
was allowed to sign the descent from Darwanism denial statement, but he
was never given a fellowship.

Ron Okimoto
Kestrel Clayton
2024-08-07 15:04:54 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Post by RonO
[...]
Ah, thank you. I'd assumed he was more of a Kent Hovind than a Hugh
Ross, because as I recall he hates women, queer people, and
non-reproductive sex. Or maybe that was just part of his pose as a
member of ISKCON.
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
Yah. Another way the internet creationism of the 90s and 00s
foreshadowed the modern alt-right was the cultivation of bad faith and
sock puppetry as a standard tactic. Liars-4-Jesus was a prototype of
Liars-4-Fascism.
RonO
2024-08-07 22:41:13 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
Berlinski and Denton claimed to be agnostic, but both of them signed up
for the Discovery Institute's original mission statement that wanted to
restore a theocracy that likely never existed in this country. Denton
turned out to be a diest, and was just agnostic about other peoples
religious beliefs, and Berlinski writes as if there is no doubt that the
biblical god exists in his articles in religious journals. They do not
seem to be written by an agnostic, but he could just be pandering to his
audience. The ID perps even had an article outing Denton, claiming that
he had a "sly twinkle" in his eye with respect to his agnostic claims,
and in the article Denton admitted that he "may be a back sliding
Christian".

The original fellows signed up for this mission:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980114111554/http://discovery.org/crsc/aboutcrsc.html

They started out more honest about their intentions, and you can see the
picture of God and Adam in their original logo for the ID scam unit.
The original name of the ID scam outfit was Center for the Renewal of
Science and Culture, and they really did want to restore the biblical
theocracy that they believed that the US was founded under. It is the
same mission that they put up in the Wedge Document.

http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.html

Ron Okimoto
Burkhard
2024-08-08 09:09:30 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
neither, as far as I can tell. Though of course conversions, while
comparatively rare, do happen. But as far as I'm aware, he always was
and still is a follower of Vaishnavism.

He only ever objected to certain labels (with some good reasons I'd say)
so
the use of the exonym Hinduism
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Either way, I'm not all that surprised. For a lot of folks, denialism
isn't about what is, but rather what ISN'T: Moon landing denialists will
gladly accommodate flat-Earthers, orbit-onlyists,
fake-landings-real-pictures, fake-pictures-real-landings, and even
"secret nazi base on the far side of the Moon" crackpots, as long as
they all agree that the official account is somehow bogus.
Well, that's possibly closer the issue, as you, me and pretty much all
other contributors to TO on the science side are dead, we just
did not get the memo yet - the bioengineered Covid vaccine killed
us all, as planned by the oligarchs, for reasons unknown. Or so
Kalkidas
Ernest Major
2024-08-08 10:20:13 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Either way, I'm not all that surprised. For a lot of folks, denialism
isn't about what is, but rather what ISN'T: Moon landing denialists will
gladly accommodate flat-Earthers, orbit-onlyists,
fake-landings-real-pictures, fake-pictures-real-landings, and even
"secret nazi base on the far side of the Moon" crackpots, as long as
they all agree that the official account is somehow bogus.
Well, that's possibly closer the issue, as you, me and pretty much all
other contributors to TO on the science side are dead, we just
did not get the memo yet - the bioengineered Covid vaccine killed
us all, as planned by the oligarchs, for reasons unknown. Or so
Kalkidas
As I recall, as few months back he said that he was a Christian, or at
least something that was readily interpreted as that.
alias Ernest Major
RonO
2024-08-08 11:20:28 UTC
Post by Ernest Major
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Either way, I'm not all that surprised. For a lot of folks, denialism
isn't about what is, but rather what ISN'T: Moon landing denialists will
gladly accommodate flat-Earthers, orbit-onlyists,
fake-landings-real-pictures, fake-pictures-real-landings, and even
"secret nazi base on the far side of the Moon" crackpots, as long as
they all agree that the official account is somehow bogus.
Well, that's possibly closer the issue, as you, me and pretty much all
other contributors to TO on the science side are dead, we just
did not get the memo yet - the bioengineered Covid vaccine killed
us all, as planned by the oligarchs, for reasons unknown. Or so
Kalkidas
As I recall, as few months back he said that he was a Christian, or at
least something that was readily interpreted as that.
When the Top Six came out in Nov. 2017 Kalk tried to go with Glenn and
run from what the ID perps had just told them. Bill just quit the ID
scam and claimed that he had never supported the ID scam (everyone knows
that Bill has been an IDiot from when he first started to post here).
Bill likely meant that he had never supported what the ID scam had
always been. Pagano claimed that the Top Six were bogus, and were not
the best evidence for the ID creationist scam. He tried to put up
Dembski's junk instead, but Dembski had retired from the ID scam as an
abject failure and none of his junk had made it into what the other ID
perps considered to be the best evidence for ID. Pagano quit posting.
Nyikos was MIA and after his return to TO he was clueless for years
about what the Top Six had done to the ID scam. When Nyikos finally
addressed the Top Six it destroyed his space alien fantasy. Nyikos
started going on about god like space aliens from another universe could
account for the Top Six. It turned out that Nyikos had always been
supporting the ID scam to support his religious beliefs. Dean kept
claiming that he did not remember not being able to deal with them every
time he came back to post to TO. MarkE was likely never an IDiot, but
he could not give up on the god-of-the-gaps denial and started putting
the Top Six up one at a time, but he found that he could not deal with
them one at a time either when he spent a lot of time defining what was
around the origin of life gap in order to claim that the gap would never
be filled. It turned out that the god that filled that gap was not the
Biblical god, and MarkE quit putting up the lame Top Six gap denials.
After a few months of running from the Top Six and just trying to post
the second rate junk that the ID perps were still putting out Kalk
claimed to quit supporting the ID scam. He claimed that the ID scam
junk was no longer worth thinking about. Around that same time he
admitted that he was not Hindu, and claimed that he had never claimed to
be Hindu. That was in 2018, and I recall having to give a link to that
post for someone that had missed the event, but I didn't save the link
anywhere, or I'd put it up again.

Ron Okimoto
Ernest Major
2024-08-08 11:39:38 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by Ernest Major
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
Denying that he's a Hindu is not the same as stating that he's a
Christian, and is not inconsistent with Burkhard's characterisation of
his position.
alias Ernest Major
RonO
2024-08-08 13:52:54 UTC
Post by Ernest Major
Post by RonO
Post by Ernest Major
Post by Burkhard
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
When he claimed that the ID scam was no longer of interest to him, Kalk
claimed that he was more interested in other aspects of his religious
beliefs. It turned out that he was just another biblical creationist,
but could be an old earth creationist if that also wasn't a put on. Kalk
has added to his initial admission through the years. You can likely
ask him if he ever posts again. My guess is that creationism lost out
and he decided to transfer his efforts to the resurrection and salvation
and such. Most Christians that are anti-evolution IDiotic types are
that way because they think that the fact of evolution, age of the earth
and such mean that the Bible can be wrong, and they do not want the
Bible to be wrong about the central Christian tenets. The ICR's and
AIG's arguments against old earth creationism have always been that the
Bible needs to be inerrant, or there is no reason to believe everything
else. Even though Bill gave up on IDiocy, he can't give up on the
denial in order to keep believing what he does, so he decided to go with
his "reality doesn't exist" claims because this reality isn't consistent
with any reasonable literal Biblical interpretation. The god that fills
the Top Six gaps that are the best evidence for IDiocy is not their
Biblical god.

The West Virginia creationist rubes that just passed their teach ID Act
do not even know what would be taught. The ID perps have never put up a
lesson plan, and #1 of the Top Six is the Big Bang, and it is a topic
(along with biological evolution) that the IDiotic type creationists
have already removed from the public school Science standards in Kansas,
and they have tried to do it in states like Texas and Oklahoma. IDiotic
type creationists do not want to teach the Top Six in an honest and
straightforward manner because the god the fills those six gaps is not
their Biblical god. The West Virginia rubes will not want to teach the
best evidence for the ID scam. Kalk could not deal with the Top Six due
to his Biblical beliefs, quit the ID scam, and came out as what he had
always been. Kalk had likely only pretended to be Hindu in order to
lend some credence to his creationist support for the ID scam.

Ron Okimoto
Burkhard
2024-08-11 16:44:02 UTC
Post by Ernest Major
Post by RonO
Post by Ernest Major
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
One should also keep in mind that the "what do you believe"
framing that asks people to subscribe to one creed at the
exclusion of all others is already a very Western way of
framing - in India in my experience, the question is often
more "what do you practice" rather than "what do you
believe"? It was always a highly syncretic religion that
absorbed or accommodated other religions too, and quite
a number of followers of "Hinduism" broadly understood
consider Christ either as a sage (acharya) or possibly even
a Shaktavesha Avatar. Or you go even further, with
people like Paramahansa Yogananda, who argued
that Christianity and Hinduism are more or less the same,
and that Christ did not die on the Cross but escaped,
travelled to India, and there did yoga.
And then the other end like V. D. Savarkar's Hindutva that
excludes all "non-indigenous" religions like
Christianity

So a follower of Vaishnavism can consistently
say things that "sound" as if they are Christians
the way a Christian in the west would understand it,
but interpret this quite differently, and also very
much see themselves as Hindus first and foremost.
Take then someone of a contrarian bend like Kalkidas,
and I'd not be surprised if he posted on occasions
things that "sounded" to the careless reader like an
endorsement of Christianity, understood the western way
RonO
2024-08-11 17:35:49 UTC
Post by Burkhard
Post by Ernest Major
Post by RonO
Post by Ernest Major
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
Kalk is just an exIDiotic creationist similar to Dembski. Dembski is
only into the ID scam to support his Christian beliefs, and even claims
that you need scripture to understand the science. Kalk hasn't given up
on his Christian beliefs, he just came to an understanding that the ID
creationist scam did not support those beliefs.

Ron Okimoto
Chris Thompson
2024-08-13 00:57:13 UTC
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Either way, I'm not all that surprised. For a lot of folks, denialism
isn't about what is, but rather what ISN'T: Moon landing denialists will
gladly accommodate flat-Earthers, orbit-onlyists,
fake-landings-real-pictures, fake-pictures-real-landings, and even
"secret nazi base on the far side of the Moon" crackpots, as long as
they all agree that the official account is somehow bogus.
Well, that's possibly closer the issue, as you, me and pretty much all
other contributors to TO on the science side are dead, we just
did not get the memo yet - the bioengineered Covid vaccine killed
us all, as planned by the oligarchs, for reasons unknown. Or so
Kalkidas
Wasn't it Nando who was sure we'd all be dead by now? Was he an
alter-ego of Kalkidas?

Chris
Burkhard
2024-08-14 10:08:34 UTC
Post by Chris Thompson
Post by Kestrel Clayton
Either way, I'm not all that surprised. For a lot of folks, denialism
isn't about what is, but rather what ISN'T: Moon landing denialists will
gladly accommodate flat-Earthers, orbit-onlyists,
fake-landings-real-pictures, fake-pictures-real-landings, and even
"secret nazi base on the far side of the Moon" crackpots, as long as
they all agree that the official account is somehow bogus.
Well, that's possibly closer the issue, as you, me and pretty much all
other contributors to TO on the science side are dead, we just
did not get the memo yet - the bioengineered Covid vaccine killed
us all, as planned by the oligarchs, for reasons unknown. Or so
Kalkidas
Wasn't it Nando who was sure we'd all be dead by now? Was he an
alter-ego of Kalkidas?
not alter ego, and of course much worse, but somewhat disappointingly
in case of Kalkidas, he also predicted imminent doom. To
rephrase Chesterton's dictum (on victorian atheists), When a
person stops believing in science they don’t then believe
in nothing, they believe anything.
RonO
2024-08-14 13:45:19 UTC
Post by Burkhard
Post by Chris Thompson
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
I think Eddie was a JW or was bounced from the group, and they had a
dooms day theology. Their profit or leader claimed to have calculated
the end times. At that time they were day for ages creationists that
believed that each day was 7 thousand years long and that the final 7
thousand years was set to end in the 1970's, but it didn't happen, and
the guy kept revising his calculations until he died, and his last
predicted date came and went. Apparently some JW believe that the world
actually ended as predicted it just is not that noticeable. The
Scientific Creationists at the ICR initially accommodated their 50,000
year age of the earth (at one time the ICR was claiming that the earth
had to be less than 50,000 years old, but currently they are claiming
less than 20,000 after the defection of the JW) because the JW were one
of the main supporters for scientific creationism in the 70's and 80's,
but when Eddie put up their current creationist theology where each day
can be any length of time, and they reinterpreted when the sun and moon
were created. I do not think that Eddie had been aware of how his
theology had changed within the last few decades and pointing out how
drastically his creationist beliefs had changed seemed to be something
that Eddie couldn't deal with. Eddie was impervious to any rational
reasoning, but the fact that his biblical literalistic views had changed
so drastically seemed to destroy his fervor to support the current
creationist claims. After that he wasn't as active as a poster. Eddie
quit posting, probably, within half a year after putting up his then
current JW creationist alternative. He seemed to have self destructed
by finally understanding what he was supposed to believe.

Ron Okimoto
Ernest Major
2024-08-14 15:52:18 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by Burkhard
Post by Chris Thompson
Post by Burkhard
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
As I understand, one Christian millenarian position is the universe will
last seven thousand years, each thousand years corresponding to one of
the seven days of creation. According to the pre-tribulationist faction
the Rapture occurs after 6,000 years, to be followed by a thousand years
of tribulation. Adopting Usher's 4,004 B.C. date, that places the
rapture at 1997.
alias Ernest Major
RonO
2024-08-14 21:16:27 UTC
Post by Ernest Major
Post by RonO
Post by Burkhard
Post by Chris Thompson
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
There is a theology of each day of creation lasting 1,000 years, but
they are still YEC. The JW had 7,000 years for each day for some
reason. Their leader thought that the earth was destined to last for
49,000 years after the beginning of creation. You don't see much about
this theology any more, and the JW seem to be pretty standard day for
ages old earth creationists like the Reason to Believe creationists.
Each day was a period of time that could span billions of years. The
issue that Reason to Believe has run into is that the evidence doesn't
fit the Biblical order of creation. In this reality land plants do not
evolve until long after the Cambrian explosion of various sea creatures,
and the crop plants (angiosperms) do not show up in the fossil record
until long after there were land animals. Dinos were running around
before the first angiosperms evolved. The Reason to Believe guys also
have some weird belief that whales had to be created with the first sea
creatures (at the same time as Cambrian fauna) but they obviously did
not exist until land mammals had evolved. They have a "recreation"
model where kinds are recreated a little differently that makes it look
like they evolved, but whales don't fit in and would have had to be
recreated land kinds long after the initial sea creatures were created.

After the Dover fiasco and the destruction of the last of the scientific
creationist junk along with IDiocy (The Top Six are the same god of the
gaps denial arguments used by the scientific creationists) I noted that
some YEC groups were trying to convert their followers to old earth
creationism. The Assembly of God church was the largest such YEC group
to try to change. The AIG had an article on the proposed changes and
were against it. Most of the ID perps were old earth creationists, and
when even they failed some YEC groups acknowledged that YEC just was not
tenable any longer. The best science put up by the ID perps were
supposed to be designs of the flagellum that occurred over a billion
years ago. Pat Robertson was not against the YEC Dover efforts, and
then the Dover rubes were lying about their creationist intent. When
the newly elected Dover school board said that they were not going to
teach ID before the court decision was rendered Pat Robertson came out
with his famous quote about the Dover residents rejecting God, but after
the decision he had to speak out about his own old earth creationist
beliefs, and had to deal with the YEC science denial.

The ID scam became the last refuge for the anti-evolution biblical
creationists, but nearly all the TO IDiots quit supporting the ID scam
because they did not want to believe in the designer that filled the ID
perp's top six gaps. That order of creation is not bilbical, and
definitely not YEC friendly. My guess is that if the NCSE could get
the West Virginia rubes to acknowledge that fact, that they would not
want to teach the ID scam in their public schools. Denton and Behe had
already told the rubes 2 decades ago that not much could be expected to
change with any ID scientific successes, and that biological evolution
was a fact of nature. Behe has claimed that he is looking for his 3
neutral mutations that have to occur within a limited amount of time,
and would have to occur in these genes over a billion years ago for the
flagellum and around half a billion years ago for his adaptive immune
system and blood clotting. He has also stated that whale evolution is
the type of evolution that can be accounted for by Darwinistic
mechanisms because it is really devolution (evolution by breaking things).

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-08-14 23:50:10 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by Ernest Major
Post by RonO
Post by Burkhard
Post by Chris Thompson
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
I found this take on one day is 1,000 years.

https://peacefulscience.org/prints/origns-yec/

Apparently it was adopted to fight of gnostic heretics.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1970123

This seems to be a link to the Watchtower library for a 1970 article
outlining the old 7,000 years for each day of creation. Apparently they
believed like a lot of Christian sects in the 6,000 year history of man
with the last 1,000 years to come (7,000 year length of the last day of
creation) and unlike other YEC that kept a 24 hour day for the previous
6 days or 1,000 year long day for the previous 6 days of creation
thought that each of the previous days were also 7,000 years long.

QUOTE:
Thus gradually on the first “day” light appeared on the “watery deep”
that enveloped the earth. During the second 7,000-year “day” the
atmosphere was formed between two layers of water. On the third “day”
the dry land gradually appeared, and Jehovah God created all manner of
vegetation, grasses, shrubs and trees.

On the fourth “day” the luminaries, the sun and moon and stars, for the
first time became visible from the earth’s surface, preparing the earth
for the appearance, on the fifth “day,” of marine life and flying
creatures. On the sixth “day” God created land animals and, toward its
end, man.

There is, as we have seen, good reason to believe that the days of
creation were each 7,000 years long.
END QUOTE:

Currently the JW are claiming that they do not believe in the 7,000 year
per day creation event, and they are now old earth creationists.

Ron Okimoto
RonO
2024-08-15 13:11:11 UTC
Post by RonO
Post by RonO
Post by Ernest Major
Post by RonO
Post by Burkhard
Post by Chris Thompson
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
I should point out that the 1970 version of the 6 day creation is the
same as the JW have today except that the length of the days is now
indeterminate, and can now be longer than 7,000 years. They maintain
the the order of creation that is inconsistent with reality (land plants
before sea creatures, and grasses before land animals) but already had
their claim that the sun and moon only became visible on the 4th day.
This is counter to the literalistic belief that the sun and moon were
created on the 4th day. The AIG and ICR maintain that the Bible uses
the word for "made" or "make" to describe the creation of the sun and
moon on the 4th day. Even back in the 1970's there must have been some
"literal" interpretation used by the JW to claim that the sun and moon
must have been created earlier (though that is not stated in the Genesis
accounts) and only became visible on the 4th day. There must have been
some type of vapor canopy blocking visibility of the sun and moon that
existed until the 4th day, though that is never described in the
creation account.

I do not know where the belief that the sun and moon just became visible
on the 4th day comes from, but it seems to be a stupid interpretation
because the creator was the only one who was around to see the sun and
moon, and some vapor canopy would not have mattered to the creator.

Ron Okimoto

Chris Thompson
2024-08-15 00:07:54 UTC
Post by Burkhard
Post by Chris Thompson
Post by Kestrel Clayton
[...]
An excellent aphorism, thanks.
I must have missed Kalk's doomsday prophecy. Then again, I missed the
doom, also.

Chris